3D Printing has started another industrial revolution and the technology kickstarted a new way of manufacturing things, especially limited editions of artworks. 3D printers are the hottest thing in the universe right now and quite a few artists are working with those machines already.
Since 3D Printing might have a bigger impact on the art world than we could predict, we put together a little special with videos and plenty of links to give you an idea of how big this change could be.
Watch the cute video below first. We’re living in a world where 10-year-olds explain the world to us now…
Why I LOVE My 3D Printer
In this Ignite Phoenix talk, young Schulyer St Leger, a 10-year-old 3D printer hacker, explains just why he loves his kit-built Makerbot 3D printer, and explains how your 3D printer might transform your life.”
From all over the web
- The Economist: Print me a Stradivarius: How a new manufacturing technology will change the world
- Whitepaper: What’s the Deal with Copyright and 3D Printing?
- London-based architects Foster + Partners has unveiled plans to join forces with European Space Agency (ESA) to build 3D-printed structures on the moon.
- Colony: Beautiful 3D prints, reminiscent of marine life-forms
- Wired: Nokia Releases Files for 3-D Printing Your Own Phone Case
- Print-to-Order Service Helps 3-D Designer Revive Forgotten Figurines
- The World’s First 3D Printing Pen that Lets you Draw Sculptures in Real Time
How To 3D Print: Turning Virtual Geometry Into Physical Products
The 3D Printing Revolution
Redefining Jewelry Design: 3D Printed Wearable Architecture
Elsewhere on our blog:
- Print Yourself – First 3D Printing Photo Booth
- Museum-Quality Sculptures Made With MakerBot
- Visitors Digitize and 3D-Print Ancient Art at Museum
- How 3-D laser scanning preserves world’s most treasured sites
- Film: The Man Who Prints Houses
- The Free Universal Construction Kit
- Print your own sculptures with the MakerBot Replicator
- The Right Heart – A Makerbot Stop Motion Music Video
- Cube™ – The first 3D Printer for your home!
- Create your own 3D figures with the iModela USB 3D printer
- The Solar Sinter Project – A 3D-Sand-Printer
- Makerbot is Ready to Print – 3-D Plastic Art for the Masses
3D Printers – Consumer Guides and more
- The shape of things to come: A consumer’s guide to 3D printers
- Comparison Chart of all 3D Printer Choices for approximately $20,000 or Less
- 3D POD: Voxeljet
- Shapeways – 3D Printing marketplace and community.
- Ultimaker open source 3D printing
- Venture capital firm Red Dot Ventures has invested $482,000 USD in Pirate3DP, a Singapore-based startup that is developing an affordable, user-friendly 3D printer for the mass market.
- 3D-Printed Clothing Hits Paris Fashion Week – Stratasys Ltd., a leading manufacturer of 3D printers and production systems for prototyping and manufacturing and Materialise, a Belgian-based pioneer in Additive Manufacturing software and solutions, today announced the unveiling of 3D printing collaborations on the catwalks of Paris Fashion Week as part of Iris van Herpen’s Haute Couture show, ‘VOLTAGE’.
- Turn Your Facebook Data Into a 3-D Printed Desktop Ornament
- Instructables: 3D-Printed Biologically-Inspired Robotics – How Not to Build a 3D Printed Robot
- Techcrunch: Print Our Own Androids – “The plans for the hands are available on Thingiverse and inventor Langevin will release more parts over the next few months. He has a build log here. The robot is completely open source and all the plans will be available for download. ”
- IO9: iRobot has just filed a patent for a robot-assisted all-in-one fabricator that can print, mill, drill, and finish a final product — and all without human intervention.
- Dutch Firm To Create 3D Printed House
Augmented 3D Print
Augmented reality meets architectural modeling in a remarkable best-of-both-worlds hybridization of two essential technologies for architecture designers, builders and (especially) clients.
Inkjet 3D biofabrication by “3D Bioprinter”
3D hydrogel tube can be fabricated by inkjet technology. As using biocompatible hydrogel, living cells can also be embedded safely in the 3D structures.
- Dezeen: Cheap 3D printers fuel home-printed sex toy “phenomenon”
- Open Source, Powder-Based 3-D Printer Has Full-Color Potential
Tinkercad: 3D Design and Printing, All Within Your Browser
- Video Instructions at Digital Urban: How to Build a 3D Printer in 24 Hours