Neues Museum, Berlin
Since October 17th 2009 the Neues Museum has opened its doors to the public once again. The museum, listed since 1999 as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site, was designed by the architect Friedrich August Stüler between 1843 and 1855. After being badly damaged in the Second World War, the building has been elaborately restored and recreated under the direction of the British star architect David Chipperfield. The architect’s aim was to restore the building to its original glory while at the same time taking stringent conservation requirements into account. In the final design, Chipperfield combined St$uuml;ler’S late classicism with contemporary forms and architectural elements. The building now provides a new home for the Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection and the Museum of Prehistory and Early History, together with artefacts from the Collection of Classical Antiquities. 2012 marks a special anniversary for the museum: the discovery of the bust of Nefertiti on 6 December 1912. On this occasion the Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection will be presenting an extensive special exhibition on the Amarna period at the Neues Museum on Berlin’s Museum Island.